Sunday, November 22, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!


Yesterday was my birthday.  I turned 47 years old!  47!!!  When did I get to be that age?  And when do I start feeling like a grown-up?  I keep thinking one of these days I will wake up and I will know what I'm doing.  Inside, I feel like I'm about 33, or whatever age it is when you feel like you are starting to get your poop together but aren't quite there yet.

I've been thinking about 50.  Only three years away!  I feel like my first 25 years, I spent being too nice, being a doormat for anyone who wanted to wipe their feet on me.  Then I got up off the floor and have spent the last 22 years being SuperBitch.  The pendulum swung too far to the other side.  I figure I've got another three years to figure out how to live in the middle.  As my friend Carie says, "There is some liveable space between 'bitch' and 'bowl of jello' and I aim to find it."

2 comments:

Robin Thomas said...

You have been just right a longtime, Goldilocks. You are not a superbitch unless that means being great at being just enough of a bitch to be a good friend, mother, wife, and attorney. Happy Birthday, you can start to wrinkle now please.

Gigi said...

Happy Birthday....the middle is boring...be who YOU are!