Sunday, January 16, 2011

SRW Week #1 -- What I Learned


I've been doing the online Soul Restoration workshop with the Brave Girls this week, and I have learned many lessons already.  Here is a sampling:

  1. Restoring my soul is time-consuming and exhausting. 
  2. I'm not such a fan of the Modge-Podge.
  3. I'm more of a glue stick kind of a girl.
  4. It's ok to go rogue and use the adhesive I like best.
  5. Soul Restoration is not about adhesive.
  6. Paintbrushes make me nervous.
  7. Paintbrushes are for REAL artists.
  8. Make-up sponges are really good for smearing paint around on paper.
  9. Using make-up sponges instead of paintbrushes for smearing paint ensures that I get a lot of paint under my fingernails.
  10. Paint under my fingernails makes me happy.
  11. Make-up sponges are really, really cheap at Dollar Tree.
  12. Cheap make-up sponges from Dollar Tree make me happy.
  13. The wedding accessories at DollarTree make me sad.
  14. Soul Restoration is not about paint brushes, make-up sponges, wedding accessories, or Dollar Tree.
  15. I find it impossible to think of myself as an artist.
  16. Thinking of creating art as "practice" is freeing.
  17. I have a law practice and a spiritual practice and an artistic practice.
  18. Calling it practice makes things seem less scary and gets me past my inner perfectionist.
  19. Creativity is like a muscle...when I don't use it, it gets flabby.
  20. The only way to get creative is just to dig in and start creating.
  21. The more I create, the more creative I become.
  22. I worry a lot about whether I am doing things the "right" way.
  23. Soul Restoration is not about doing things the "right" way. 
  24. Soul Restoration is about doing the work, any way I can.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I want to glue makeup sponges to your head.
2. I want to go to a Dollar Tree now (I'm curious about those wedding accessories).
3. There is no right way in art.
4. I love your creativity quote.
5. this post is funny.
6. I can't wait to read more about SR.