Saturday, September 25, 2010

My Not-So-Beautiful Life

I have a confession to make.  I have blog envy.  Or maybe it's more accurate to say I have life envy.  I read and follow all these incredibly beautiful blogs filled with gorgeous photos of crafts and meals and decorating and I turn green with envy.  You see, my crafts turn out all wonky, my house is cluttered and layered in dust, and my meals are usually edible but not often terribly photogenic.  It seems like I always have piles of bills to pay, mountains of laundry to fold and put away, and the papers...oh my Lord, the papers!  What is it about elementary school?  Lil Sweetie brings home 5-10 papers a day, half of which she can't bear to throw away.  Sometimes when she is asleep, I take all but my favorite one or two and bury them in the bottom of the trash can where she can't see them.  Aren't I terrible?!  But if I didn't, we would have to move because this house would be filled to the gills with paper.

I go through spells where I feel guilty about my not-so-beautiful life but mostly I am forgiving of myself.  It's not like I'm slacking off, lazing on the couch eating bon-bons.  I work 40 to 50 hours a week, spend time with my kid and my husband, and although my house will never be featured in some glossy home decorating magazine, it's far from being the subject of an episode of "Hoarders".  Do I sound like I have a chip on my shoulder?  Maybe I do.  I just can't for the life of me figure out how the beautiful people do it.  I bet they have a secret club where they give each other tips on how to squeeze an extra 3 hours into each day.  Or maybe they are secret polygamists and the sister-wives do some of the housework and cooking and decorating and crafting.  Won't someone please let me in on the secret?

3 comments:

rlvd said...

ha! glad i'm not the only one that feels less than adequate after reading "those" blogs...but you've made me feel better-- we're special too, dang it!!! hehe

Anonymous said...

Why don't you post about how awesome that you are at your career? Those people can't do that...

Also, at some point, you just have to assume that those pretty bloggers may have a cocaine habit, maybe it's not true, but you can believe it and then feel superior.

Robin Thomas said...

I read a thought provoking post on this same thing. I was experiencing vomitus reading the gorgeous blogs. Jenny Heid had a post about how maybe the beautiful life bloggers needed an online personality they were not able to achieve in real life. And if it gets them through the day and we get a glimpse into something beautiful and ordered, then we all kinda win, right? Also, hit delete on the ones that piss you off.