Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I Call B.S.

When Lil Sweetie was a babe, people told me it was important to talk to her, that it would help her develop her language skills.  So I talked to her constantly, giving her a running play-by-play of what we were doing, what I was thinking and feeling, what we were seeing, etc., etc., blah blah blah.  I have now decided this theory is utter B.S. because I now have a 7-year-old who chatters constantly.  CONSTANTLY.  I am now treated every waking moment to a running play-by-play of what we are doing, what Lil Sweetie is thinking and feeling, what we are seeing, etc. etc. blah blah blah.  Why wouldn't she think this is normal behavior?  It is often very entertaining but on occasion, I could really use a few moments of peace.

2 comments:

rlvd said...

ooh, that one came back to bite ya!! I guess enjoy it while she wants to share everything with you :)

Anonymous said...

You have to listen to the constant chatter so that when she's a teenager, she'll tell you the important stuff. Someday it will pay off. Someday you'll hear "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah and then she said, then I said, then she said, then I said, blah blah blah and then she said her parents would be out of town and we could get drunk, but I told her no, I won't do that because it's not right and she got mad and then she said blah blah blah blah blah blah ..." Consider your current listening as payments you're putting in the bank so that this kid will be in the habit of talking to you when she starts making life decisions.